Here's what's important to know about small climbing-related businesses:
- They are born from un-extinguishable need to create in a field that the owner loves - in this case climbing.
- They are born from people willing to risk their financial well-being to "give it a go" - with the hope of "success" and the ongoing fear of "failure."
- They require grit and persistence to keep it alive. Nearly every small business owner has has sleepless nights and questions about quitting, then steps out of bed each morning and says "yes" to one more day.
- Most small business owners are responsible for everything - accounting, promoting, making and shipping product, quality control, legal (patents, trademarks, copyrights), etc. - you name it and the owner(s) are wearing the hats. The learning curve is steep.
- It is difficult, time-consuming, and expensive to envision, create, run, and promote a small business. It is easy to get lost in the noise and it's difficult to compete against large, well-established businesses. Small businesses need a leg-up.