Photo Credit: Bryn Sillorequez
Who doesn't like a good climbing travel story to take us away on a mental adventure?
- ARGENTINA - A Unique, Big City Crag: Buenos Aires, Argentina Climbing (By Stefani Dawn) You’ve probably never seen a crag like this one!
- BLUE MOUNTAINS, AUSTRALIA - Bliss: Climbing in the Blueys (by Stefani Dawn) - Epics, mini-epics, near-epics, and zones of craptitude make for good stories...But, most of the time things are pretty dang chill. Fun. Enjoyable. Cool. Sometimes there is even bliss.
- BOULDER, COLORADO: Calling Pat Ament (By Jeff Smoot) - An adventure story of two young climbers just trying to find a place to sleep.
- ECUADOR - Climbing in Ecuador - A Nation of Four Worlds (By Dave Barnes and Felipe Proaño) - Guidebook author Felipe Proaño and Assistant Editor Dave Barnes takes us on a tour of rock climbing in Ecuador.
- EL POTRERO CHICO, MEXICO - Riding the Dirty Dog (By Jack Waterhouse) - From Salt Lake City, Utah to El Potrero Chico, Mexico - a climber rides the "dirty dog" for $144 to get on some of the worlds longest bolted climbs. Creative story telling takes you for a ride.
- LOVER'S LEAP, CALIFORNIA - Zone of Craptitude (by Stefani Dawn) - A climber enters the zone - a different kind of zone...
- RIO DE JANIERO, BRAZIL - Photo Essay: Classic Climbs Sampler of Rio De Janiero (By Radek Chalupa) - A visually beautiful and descriptive photo essay about several classic climbs in and around Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- TAGHIA, MOROCCO - Hardly Failing (By Wil Treasure) - "Failing" in climbing comes in many forms. Climber Wil Treasure reflects upon one of his best, least epic "failures" on a big climb in Taghia, Morocco. Be transported.
- TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA - The Legend of the ‘Unclimbable Cliff’ (by Adam Donoghue) - Adam Donoghue takes us to the place that time forgot -The Tyndals in South West Tasmania for some first ascents.
- VEDAUWOO, WYOMING - Inverted Offwidth, Cracks and a Chimney – Oh My! (by Melissa Kline) - A climber shares her offwidth, crack, and chimney experience in the mystical place that is Vedauwoo.
Also see our Themed Edition Exploring Our World
- CHINA - From Yangshuo, to Getu, to Liming (By Emilie Pellerin) - Emilie Pellerin is a professional climber, but here she takes us on a personal journey through China, hitting the rock in three different locations and absorbing the sights, sounds, smells, and experiences of China - and sharing them with us.
- FRANCE - Verdon in Winter (By Frothy Thomson) - The author seeks a unique, quiet, and memorable experience in the normally busy Gorge du Verdon. His, and his climbing-partner's, quest is to climb an obscure route under France's grey skies and cold winter air.
- GREECE - Meteora: The Sacred Mountains (By Dave Barnes) - Dave reflects on the pull of climbing - "History records and legends recall how people have gone to the mountains to escape their demons and to understand who they were. Everybody runs from somewhere sometime in their lives - the mountains just make you look brave doing it."
- ITALY - Dolomites (By Matt Tredway) - "My Italian climbing partner was a friend-of-friends...The 45ish, burly Italian scoffed, and said, 'Those sport climbers. They are like the kids today… too lazy to buy the sausage and cut it up… they want it pre sliced. They want to have hard grades, a planned route, no thinking, and don't even look around at the views!' I gulp a little, and nodded - knowing in the back of my mind that Shelf Road is a sport crag I've climbed a couple times a year since forever."
- MEXICO - La Huasteca (By James Crump) - A hilarious and adventurous coming-of-age tale of when a 16-year-old Crump and his buddy Goomba cross the border to Mexico and go adventure climbing in La Huasteca.
- UTAH, U.S.: Maple Canyon: This One Makes You Taller (By Maggie Odette) - At the age of 44 Maggie Odette claimed her first 5.14a. She quit her job, married her climbing parter, and, now, 4.5 years later, became camphost at Maple Canyon so she can project and send T-Rex, a 5.14b at the age of 49. Visit the conglomerate rock of Maple Canyon, UT and experience Maggie's story.