Photo Credit: Bryn Sillorequez
JOSHUA TREE EDITION
PHOTOS & BETA
- Joshua Tree: Heinous Approaches - When boulderfield meets desert the approach can be unpredictable - sometimes it's no big deal, sometimes "hell boulderado."
- Bouldering: JTree Made Me Do It - The author has been rock climbing since 2007 and has intended to boulder, but other than an occasional gym session, never seemed to get around to it - until now -- "JTree made me do it."
PHOTOS & BETA
ROUTE DEVELOPERS AND GUIDEBOOK AUTHORS
- Joshua Tree: The Bolting Pressure Cooker (by Stefani Dawn) - Meet Farai and Kelly, "new school" route developers in Joshua Tree. For some, using the words “new-school,” “route development”, and “Joshua Tree” all in the same sentence can be hair-raising/red-flag inducing/trouble-making. For others it elicits great relief and gratitude. Just what does “new school” mean in JTree anyway?
- Rock Star Groupie (by Stefani Dawn) - A climber finds herself following a route-setting rock star. Who is it and why? [Previously published on Common Climber and fits this theme nicely!]
- Todd Gordon (by Stefani Dawn) - “We had teenie weenies and big egos!” he said with animation and a Cheshire grin. This is Todd Gordon, the rock climbing "mayor" of Joshua Tree with a personality as big as the park itself.
- Tony Calderone (by Stefani Dawn) - Perseverance. Tenacity. Grit. Commitment. Transformation. These are the words that describe what I know of Tony Calderone. Controversial. opinionated, and, perhaps a few other choice words, also float around the rock-climbing ethers of his stomping grounds in Utah and Idaho. Who is Tony Calderone?
- Climbing is My Art (by Christine Kuebler) - "I never intended on becoming an alpine climber. If you went back in time and told me this is what I’d be doing in my life I would have laughed at you." An artist and mother redefines herself after some heart-breaking life-events.
- INTERVIEW: Photographer, Michelle Ranee Johnson (Fresno, CA) - See that beautiful image at the top of the page? That's by Michelle Ranee Johnson. Explore some of Michelle's other images and learn their stories, as well as, how Michelle arrived to climbing and climbing photography.
- Mt. Logan Solo: When Passion Overcomes Fear (by Monique Richard) - Monique is driven by the freedom of climbing and climbing solo is the ultimate freedom, which also bears the most risk. Monique shares her emotional and epic tale of tackling Mt. Logan, the tallest peak in Canada (19,551 ft/5959 m). In her words: "It was the culmination of all my ascents and expeditions to the four corners of the globe...in the most hostile conditions that I have encountered in my mountaineering life."
- PROFILE: I am a Common Climber: Caitlin Schokker (New Castle, Australia) - Common Climber editor Dave Barnes, met Caitlin at Mount Piddington in the Blue Mountains of Australia. She was making light work of a classic middle grade crack climb. Caitlin had buzzing energy and her red hair glowed in the sun like a flame. She has a passion for the game. CC asked Caitlin if she could share and explain her love of climbing.